Thursday, September 23, 2010

"Just Call Me Aunt Edith"

I remember every summer with you. I remember my friends wanting to spend the summer with you. And, I remember you would say to them, "Just Call Me Aunt Edith"...and they would. I know that I had a better imagination because of you. I remember the stories we made up in your back yard while climbing the grapefruit tree. I remember getting stuck in that grapefruit tree and Uncle James having to fish us out. I remember fresh lemonade and some of the best meals I had ever eaten. I remember the love that I knew you had for each of us children and how much confidence you gave us. I remember being taught right from wrong on many occasions. I remember going into the Jacuzzi whether it was in our clothes or our swimming suits. Also, filling the Jacuzzi up with cold water when it was too hot outside to bear. I remember always looking for a sale. You always let us find our own sales in the stores and when we wanted to buy something on sale you would say "See, That is smart. You are Smart!" I remember wondering why you gave so much service. Why are we giving cookies to the neighbor? Why are we going to volunteer at the stroke center? Why do we need to put on a fashion show and invite the neighbors? Year after year I grew to realize exactly why you did these things. And, I've told you this before but I know that I grew into a better person by watching your example.

It was so hard to let you go. But, I was happy to see your pain stop and know that you are with your sister Mary and your Mother Ardis again. The ones you always talked about. The ones you missed for so long. Now we will miss you Aunt Edith and I already yearn to get back to see you again. You will be in my stories I tell my children....and when I am done telling them I will say "I can;t wait to see her again!"

You were and are such an influential person in all our lives. I remember you as the Crazy Aunt Edith (your normal self) who would sing the shampoo commercial to people when they called.."Halo, Halo." You were the really tall clown "sunny" I think. I remember this briefly because I was little; but, it was silly enough for me to remember. You were our families Easter Bunny, Santa Clause and "new school clothes fairy." How you did all of that for 14 children?.... I will never know.







All that I can say is that I love you Aunt Edith Thank you for the wonderful years and that I will miss you unitl we meet again.

No comments: